I know after a long day of school I will definitely not go home and watch a sad movie but instead laugh at a comedic show or movie. Who doesn’t try to use comedy for an escape for the stress that they sometimes feel from school? Making light of a situation is a coping mechanism and it can make someone feel better. It sure helps me. School. Family. Friends. Sports. Everyone can use a break sometimes so why not find some comedic reliefs in our real-lives? Alexie uses a similar strategy in this excerpt of his book, Because My Father Always Said he was the Only Indian Who Saw Jimi Hendrix Play “The star-spangled banner” at Woodstock. By incorporating humor into the theme of the book, it expresses how he thinks situations can be handled to make you feel better. The humor in his voice is so important because it not only gives enjoyment for the reader but we see how he lives and we can sometimes relate to it. Instead of feeling sad, we connect with him in a happier way. Because he is sharing sad stories about his childhood, the comicalness is a way for the piece to sound lighter, and for his own coping. Although he says he was born “a goofy reservation mixed drink” he makes a joke out of it instead of focusing on his parents’ alcohol abuse. Despite his parents drinking habits e looks on the bright side to some of the madness. After listening to this story, I know I can’t complain about my school day and I’ve realized that there are always different angles to a story you just have to pick how you view it.
Sunday, September 24, 2017
Humor me
I know after a long day of school I will definitely not go home and watch a sad movie but instead laugh at a comedic show or movie. Who doesn’t try to use comedy for an escape for the stress that they sometimes feel from school? Making light of a situation is a coping mechanism and it can make someone feel better. It sure helps me. School. Family. Friends. Sports. Everyone can use a break sometimes so why not find some comedic reliefs in our real-lives? Alexie uses a similar strategy in this excerpt of his book, Because My Father Always Said he was the Only Indian Who Saw Jimi Hendrix Play “The star-spangled banner” at Woodstock. By incorporating humor into the theme of the book, it expresses how he thinks situations can be handled to make you feel better. The humor in his voice is so important because it not only gives enjoyment for the reader but we see how he lives and we can sometimes relate to it. Instead of feeling sad, we connect with him in a happier way. Because he is sharing sad stories about his childhood, the comicalness is a way for the piece to sound lighter, and for his own coping. Although he says he was born “a goofy reservation mixed drink” he makes a joke out of it instead of focusing on his parents’ alcohol abuse. Despite his parents drinking habits e looks on the bright side to some of the madness. After listening to this story, I know I can’t complain about my school day and I’ve realized that there are always different angles to a story you just have to pick how you view it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear World
Dear World, I know you are saddened by this picture as much as I am, and I can’t help but feel terrible because I know that my ...

Very thoughtful. Meanwhile humor can be a way to present pains in a lighter way, I think sometimes somber subjects need to be solemn. It might make it less hard for Alexie to write, but for the readers to truly feel his pain, the mood needs to be serious.I guess you can't argue that Alexie's way didn't make any difference but I feel that if he wrote something without any humor and solemn, it would be that much more effective because it'll stand out from any of his other works.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with your take on humor, who would want to watch a sad movie after school?! I also agree with the fact that we all need a little comedic relief in our lives! All in all beautifully written!
ReplyDelete