Sunday, October 29, 2017

Zelda and Daisy's Interal Conflict

Zelda Fitzgerald, Scott Fitzgerald’s wife, shares many qualities with Daisy Buchanan in the Great Gatsby. In her school, Zelda was considered a popular girl and had many boys after her, and Daisy is described as a beautiful woman that attracted many men, including Gatsby. She was very charming and beautiful and during her time was a flapper. As a child, she was always rebellious and when she matured she became involved in things like drugs and alcohol. Similar to Daisy and her appreciation and love for wealth and power. For example, the visit to Gatsby’s closet she cried because of all his nice shirts. When Zelda was a teenager, Fitzgerald was stationed at a nearby camp and eventually persuaded Zelda to go out with him, and they fell in love. Zelda wanted all the attention and Fitzgerald was willing to give everything he had to her. Furthermore, Gatsby won over Daisy’s heart and has spent all his life planning their reunion. Both Zelda and Daisy did not marry Fitzgerald and Gatsby; at first when Fitzgerald proposed to Zelda she refused because her parents filled the idea in her head that he could not support her, and Daisy married Tom Buchanan instead of Gatsby. The wealthy life that Zelda lived eventually caught up to her and she started to suffer from mental health disorders that led to the couple’s toxic relationship. Zelda also tended to be dramatic and one night Zelda threw herself down the stairs because her husband praised an actress. Daisy is also caught in the complications that come with that much money, she cannot leave Tom but she clearly has a strong love for Gatsby.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting post, I did not realize that Fitzgerald had personal circumstances that related to The Great Gatsby. I like that you analyzed and compared how wealth and power played a role in both of these women's lives and fueled their motives in "love".

    ReplyDelete

Dear World

Dear World, I know you are saddened by this picture as much as I am, and I can’t help but feel terrible because I know that my ...