There are approximately 20 widely known SAT/ACT prep schools
within 150 miles of Troy. All extremely competitive to get it into, some more
than others. For example, a few schools are booked with students a year in
advance. Now, these tests may determine a big part of a student’s future, however
does this mean we inevitably have to face the fact that our sanity must
be sabotaged in order for success? We all want this satisfaction of being told that we are
smart and are capable of being accepted into our dream school, but at
what price does all this studying and stress cost? The idea of “free time” we
as students have is becoming a little distorted. So many of us are happy to sit
in bed and do nothing, and this may be just as fun as a night out with friends because
it is a break for our brains. This stress comes from all the books, essays,
and studying we must do if we want to achieve great things; or at least that is
what society tells us. It was my sophomore year and in the school library I overheard
one of my fellow classmates saying he has no time for any activities because he
is so busy with school and his SAT class is stressing him out. I sat there in silence with a million questions running through my head like, Am I late for
preparing? How am I going to get into college? Something that keeps us going is
that tacky graduation music we hope to hear that sends us off to the next,
hopefully interesting chapter in our lives. Given all that stress and pressure to succeed, what surprises me most about my
classmates, in a good way, is that even though these tests create lots of
stress, we continue to work hard and push ourselves to achieve higher.Sunday, December 10, 2017
Standardized Testing Absurd
There are approximately 20 widely known SAT/ACT prep schools
within 150 miles of Troy. All extremely competitive to get it into, some more
than others. For example, a few schools are booked with students a year in
advance. Now, these tests may determine a big part of a student’s future, however
does this mean we inevitably have to face the fact that our sanity must
be sabotaged in order for success? We all want this satisfaction of being told that we are
smart and are capable of being accepted into our dream school, but at
what price does all this studying and stress cost? The idea of “free time” we
as students have is becoming a little distorted. So many of us are happy to sit
in bed and do nothing, and this may be just as fun as a night out with friends because
it is a break for our brains. This stress comes from all the books, essays,
and studying we must do if we want to achieve great things; or at least that is
what society tells us. It was my sophomore year and in the school library I overheard
one of my fellow classmates saying he has no time for any activities because he
is so busy with school and his SAT class is stressing him out. I sat there in silence with a million questions running through my head like, Am I late for
preparing? How am I going to get into college? Something that keeps us going is
that tacky graduation music we hope to hear that sends us off to the next,
hopefully interesting chapter in our lives. Given all that stress and pressure to succeed, what surprises me most about my
classmates, in a good way, is that even though these tests create lots of
stress, we continue to work hard and push ourselves to achieve higher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear World
Dear World, I know you are saddened by this picture as much as I am, and I can’t help but feel terrible because I know that my ...
No comments:
Post a Comment