Sunday, October 8, 2017

Writing the Unwritable


When I first glanced over page 83 of Maus, by Art Spiegelman, I saw four mice being hanged. Although, when I looked closer there were technically three and a half mice. Vladek’s upper body appears to be the top of the last body being hanged. This demonstrates when he saw his friends die or when he pictures that image in his head, a part of him dies with his friends. Vladek feels guilty about living through the war but in a sense, he is not all there anymore. The constant acts of violence he witnesses or experiences wears him down which leaves nothing but a lifeless body there one could say. He is unconsciously functioning and because a person cannot function without their whole body. Half of the lifeless body is his and half belongs to his friend; the top half is his own body because his memories are what dominate his life. 
How would the author be able to portray that feeling of emptiness in a normal picture or in plain writing? Instead of either of these he utilizes the placement of the comic boxes. By doing this he creates a bigger image that holds another abstract meaning. This is more accurate than writing or drawing it because there is really no way to show these feelings. Similar to how Powell said there is no accurate way to portray the Holocaust. Vladek did not necessarily express these emotions with his son directly but looking back, Art realized his body language and moods conveyed another part of his story. Art notices his father’s reactions while writing this comic, and uses it to portray pathos. Adding another element of meaning into his comic book, Art’s work creates a new depiction of the Holocaust.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gabby, the panel of Vladek upper body connecting to feet of another mouse in the panel below might also represent Vladek sharing pain with the other mouse. He feels guilt because he disobeyed the rules and was not hanged, while the other mouse is feeling extreme discomfort. Nice post!:)

    ReplyDelete

Dear World

Dear World, I know you are saddened by this picture as much as I am, and I can’t help but feel terrible because I know that my ...